Classic and Sturdy
Courtesy of Kohler
Cast iron bathtubs offer durability without sacrificing style.
Cast iron bathtubs are made from molten iron that is poured into a cast to form its shape. Once the iron is cooled and the cast comes off, the iron tub is coated with an enamel finish that is usually fire polished to achieve a glossy look.
• Heavy: Cast iron bathtubs can weigh more than 400 lbs. This makes them sturdy, but also makes them difficult to move into homes during remodels. In addition, your floorboards may not be able to support a tub that is this heavy.
• Extremely Durable: Iron will retain heat, and will be resistant to scratches and dents. If taken care of properly, you may never have to purchase a new bathtub.
• Colorful: The fire polished enamel coating used on cast iron tubs is available in a wide range of colors.
• Limited Design: Cast iron tubs cannot be molded into less common shapes like a square or circle. Also you can find some cast iron whirlpools, but not airbaths.
• Expensive: Many cast iron bathtubs cost $1,000 or more.